Bachelor of Science in Secondary Education – Emphasis in Science
The Secondary Education – Science program at ACU trains you in the art and science of teaching Science while providing critical coursework to deepen knowledge and understanding of the field of education. Three key attributes of the program will prepare you for a successful career in education. First, the program emphasizes the integration of education principles across the teaching profession. You will learn that teaching is not compartmentalized but is a rich combination of research-based theories and hands-on practical experience. Second, the program emphasizes practicality. Through the lens of extensive experience, faculty provide you with timely and valuable glimpses into today’s classrooms. The final and most valuable attribute of the program is the emphasis on mentoring. Because of the small size of the university, you will be able to develop a strong mentoring relationship with their instructors. This mentoring begins in the classroom, continues through student teaching, and beyond.
Why Secondary Education – Science at ACU?
In addition to a faculty to student ratio of 17:1 and a rigorous and biblically integrated curriculum, ACU’s Secondary Education – Science program offers several unique advantages:
- ACU’s College of Education graduates are in great demand locally and abroad.
- ACU is one of 24 universities in the United States and the only one in Arizona that is certified by ACSI (Association of Christian Schools International).
- ACU’s Secondary Education program is approved by the Arizona Department of Education.
- Faculty in the department have an average of 20 years of experience in the field, meaning you are taught by leaders in education who have extensive classroom experience.
- Small class sizes create an intimate, safe setting to practice your teaching and hone your skills.
- God’s Word and His Truths are foundational in all coursework at ACU.
- All graduates in the certified program also graduate with a full ACSI (Association of Christian Schools International) endorsement, which provides opportunities to teach internationally.
Beginning your first year, our phenomenal faculty and staff commit to do our part while you do yours, providing you with personalized, on-on-one support, and benefits unique to ACU. Click HERE for a detailed layout of your expectations and benefits as an education major. Just think of it as All As- ACU benefits, ADE approved, and ACSI certified.
What will I study?
The Secondary Education – Science program provides a biblical liberal arts foundation with an innovative approach to general studies that reclaims a Christian conception of the Liberal Arts, preparing students to be influential thinkers. Career-related focus areas will include:
- Educational psychology
- Curriculum and instruction methods for teaching Science in 6th grade through High School
- Human development
- Research informed secondary education teaching methods
- Special education methods
- Classroom management
- Methods for teaching English language learners
- In-depth study of Science (30 credit hours)
Graduates who meet the requirements of the Secondary Education – Science program are prepared to:
- Teach Science grades 6-12 at a charter, private, or public school in their content area.
- Teach Science in Christian schools in the United States and all over the world because of the ACSI certification earned through ACU’s program.
- Obtain master’s degrees in leadership, curriculum and instruction, administration, special education, or in Science.
- Work with youth in various church, parachurch, and nonprofit organizations.
Professional Licensure/Certification Disclosure Statement
In compliance with U.S. Federal Regulations (34 CFR § 668.50 and 34 CFR § 668.43) and as a participating member of the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA), Arizona Christian University provides the following disclosures concerning its Bachelor of Science in Secondary Education program.
The Bachelor of Science in Secondary Education may lead to Educator Certification in Arizona. All students who satisfactorily complete the Secondary Education certificate program at Arizona Christian University, will receive an Institutional Recommendation (IR) from the university. A program “audit” will be conducted upon completion of the last program requirement to ensure 3.0 GPA in required program coursework (including transfer coursework), a 2.5 GPA overall, tuition/fees paid in full, and materials checked out from library have been returned. The IR will be uploaded to the Arizona Department of Education. It is good for one year and cannot be reissued. The IR saves you time and money when you are applying for your teaching certificate. An informative chart on the benefits of completing the Education Program at ACU can be found at https://www.arizonachristian.edu/education-program-benefits/. Information on Educator Certification in Arizona can be found at the Arizona Department of Education website (https://www.azed.gov/educator-certification).
Additionally, certificated graduates receive an Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI) teaching certificate that qualifies them to teach in Christian schools in the 180 U.S. and around the world. For information on how to apply for ACSI certification, please visit their website (https://www.acsi.org/accreditation-certification/certification-for-teachers/certification).
States vary in their certification requirements. At present, ACU has not determined if its Elementary Education program can lead to certification in other states. Students are encouraged to contact the certifying agency within the state they wish to work as an educator to determine the certification requirements of that state.
These disclosures do not guarantee that any jurisdiction will approve an application for certification, and ACU shall not be held liable for an unsuccessful professional certification application.
Academic Major Courses
Core requirements accumulate to 30 credits, 15 credits of Biblical and Theological Studies and 8 credits of science courses.
|HIS 212||US and Arizona Government||3|
|EDU 300||Tests and Measurements||3||EDU 317 (Pr or Co)|
|EDU 314||Introduction to the Exceptional Child||3|
|EDU 315||Educational Psychology||3|
|EDU 317||Curriculum and Instruction||3|
|EDU 415||Classroom Management (Taken semester prior to student teaching)||3||IVP Card (Pr), EDU 317 (Pr or Co)|
|SEI 490||Structured English Immersion Methods||3||IVP Card (Pr), EDU 317 (Pr or Co)|
|SED 410||Directed Student Teaching||9||IVP Card, Senior, Advisor Approval, Application (Pr), SED 490 (Co)|
|SED 490||Secondary Education Capstone||3||IVP Card (Pr), SED 410 (Co)|