Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Secondary Education
The Post-Baccalaureate Secondary Education Certificate Program at ACU is an undergraduate certificate designed for individuals who already have a degree who want to become teachers. This select combination of undergraduate courses train you in the art and science of teaching adolescents while leading to teacher certification.
Three key attributes of the program will prepare you for a successful career in education. First, the program emphasizes the integration of education principles across the teaching profession. You will learn that teaching is not compartmentalized but is a rich combination of research-based theories and hands-on practical experience. Second, the program emphasizes practicality. Through the lens of extensive experience, faculty provide you with timely and valuable glimpses into today’s classrooms. The final and most valuable attribute of the program is the emphasis on mentoring. Because of the small size of the university, you will be able to develop a strong mentoring relationship with their instructors. This mentoring begins in the classroom, continues through student teaching, and beyond.
Why a Post-Baccalaureate Secondary Education Undergraduate Certificate at ACU
In addition to a faculty to student ratio of 17:1 and a rigorous, biblically integrated curriculum, ACU’s Post-Baccalaureate Secondary Education Certificate offers several unique advantages:
- ACU’s College of Education graduates are in great demand locally and abroad.
- ACU’s Secondary Education Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Program is approved by the Arizona Department of Education.
- Faculty in the department have an average of 20 years of experience in the field, meaning you are taught by leaders in education who have extensive classroom experience.
- Small class sizes create an intimate, safe setting to practice your teaching and hone your skills.
- God’s Word and His Truths are foundational in all coursework at ACU.
What will I study?
Career-related focus areas will include:
- Curriculum and instruction methods for 6th grade through High School
- Research informed secondary education teaching methods
- Special education methods
- Classroom management
- Methods for teaching English language learners
- Proficiency of secondary education content is determined by the passing of the Arizona Subject Knowledge Secondary Education Exam.
Graduates who meet the requirements of the Post-Baccalaureate Secondary Education Certificate Program are prepared to
- Teach grades 6-12 at a charter, private, or public school in their content area.
- Obtain master’s degrees in leadership, curriculum and instruction, administration, special education, or in their content area.
- Work with youth in various church, parachurch, and nonprofit organizations.
Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Courses
In order for a student to complete the program, they must complete a minimum of 33 credit hours.
A GPA of 3.0 in education and content classes is required with no grade lower than a C (A = 4.0). An overall GPA of 2.5 or higher is required.
|Post-Baccalaureate Secondary Education (Certified) Academic Major (30 credits)|
|HIS 212||US and Arizona Government||3|
|Tests and Measurements||3||EDU 317 or 517 (Prerequisite or Co-Requisite)|
|Introduction to the Exceptional Child||3|
|Curriculum and Instruction||3||IVP Card (Prerequisite)|
|Classroom Management (Taken semester prior to student teaching)||3||IVP Card (Prerequisite), EDU 317 or 517 (Prerequisite or Co-Requisite)|
|Structured English Immersion Methods||3||IVP Card (Prerequisite), EDU 317 or 517 (Prerequisite or Co-Requisite)|
|Directed Student Teaching: Secondary Education||9||IVP Card, Advisor Approval (Prerequisite)
SED 490 or 690 (Co-Requisite)
|Secondary Education Capstone||3||IVP Card (Prerequisite) SED 410 or 610 (Co-Requisite)|
|Post-Baccalaureate Secondary Education (Certified) Electives (3 credits)|
|Choose One||SED 313-319 Teaching in the Secondary School (in emphasis area)|
- OR -
SED 403-409 (or 603-609) Integrated Literacy (in emphasis area)*
|3||IVP Card, EDU 317 or 517 (Prerequisite)|
|*Secondary education students must demonstrate mastery in a content and professional knowledge.
Mastery in content will be demonstrated by a passing score on the Arizona Educator Exams in the content area.
Mastery in professional knowledge will be demonstrated by a passing score on the Arizona Educator Exams:
Professional Knowledge: Secondary