Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Elementary Education
The Post-Baccalaureate Elementary Education Certificate at Arizona Christian University is an undergraduate certificate designed for individuals who already have a degree who want to become teachers. This select combination of undergraduate courses train you in the art and science of teaching children while leading to teacher certification.
Three key attributes of the program prepare you for a successful career in education. First, the program emphasizes the integration of education principles across the teaching profession. You will learn that teaching is not compartmentalized but it is a rich combination of research-based theories and hands-on practical experience. Second, the program emphasizes practicality. Through the lens of extensive experience, ACU faculty provide you with timely and valuable glimpses into today’s classrooms. The final and most valuable attribute is the emphasis on mentoring. Because of the intentional small class sizes at ACU, you will be able to develop strong mentoring relationships with your instructors. This mentoring begins in the classroom, continues through student teaching, and beyond graduation.
Why a Post-Baccalaureate Elementary Education Undergraduate Certificate at ACU
In addition to a faculty to student ratio of 17:1 and a rigorous, biblically-integrated curriculum, ACU’s Elementary Undergraduate Education program offers several unique advantages:
- ACU’s education graduates are in great demand locally and abroad.
- ACU’s Elementary Education Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Program is approved by the Arizona Department of Education.
- Faculty in the department have an average of 20 years of experience in the field, meaning you are taught by leaders in education who have extensive classroom experience.
- Small class sizes create a safe, comfortable setting to practice your teaching and hone your skills.
- God’s Word and His Truths are foundational in all coursework at ACU.
What will I study?
Career-related focus areas will include:
- Curriculum and instruction methods for grades kindergarten through grade 8
- Human development
- Research informed methods for teaching Math, Reading, Language Arts, Science, and, Social Studies
- Special education methods grades kindergarten through grade 8
- Classroom management
- Methods for teaching English language learners
- Proficiency of elementary education content is determined by the passing of the Arizona Subject Knowledge Elementary Education Exam.
Graduates who meet the requirements of the Post-Baccalaureate Elementary Education Undergraduate Certificate are prepared to
- Teach grades kindergarten through 8th grade at a charter, private, or public school.
- Create engaging curriculum for Kindergarten through 8th grade
- Obtain master’s degrees in leadership, curriculum and instruction, administration, special education, or in their content area.
- Work with children in various church, parachurch, and nonprofit organizations.
Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Courses
In order for a student to complete the program, they must complete a minimum of 48 credit hours.
A GPA of 3.0 in education and content classes is required with no grade lower than a C (A = 4.0). An overall GPA of 2.5 or higher is required.
|HIS 212||US and Arizona Government||3|
|Tests and Measurements||3||EDU 317 or 517 (Prerequisite or Co-Requisite)|
|Language Arts in the Elementary School||3||IVP Card (Prerequisite), EDU 317 or 517 (Prerequisite or Co-Requisite)|
|EED 314||Science & Social Studies in the Elementary School||3||IVP Card (Prerequisite), EDU 317 (Prerequisite or Co-Requisite)|
|Introduction to the Exceptional Child||3|
|Teaching Reading and Decoding in the Elementary School||3||IVP Card (Prerequisite), EDU 317 or 517 (Prerequisite or Co-Requisite)|
|Reading Comprehension||3||IVP Card (Prerequisite), EDU 317 or 517 (Prerequisite), Preferred: EED 315 or 515 (Prerequisite)|
|Curriculum and Instruction||3||IVP Card (Prerequisite)|
|Classroom Management (Taken semester prior to student teaching )||3||IVP Card (Prerequisite), EDU 317 or 517 (Prerequisite or Co-Requisite)|
|Mathematics in the Elementary School||3||IVP Card (Prerequisite), EDU 317 or 517 (Prerequisite or Co-Requisite)
EED 417 Only: MAT 105 or equivalent (Prerequisite or Co-Requisite)
|Structured English Immersion Methods||3||IVP Card (Prerequisite), EDU 317 or 517 (Prerequisite or Co-Requisite)|
|Directed Student Teaching: Elementary Education||9||IVP Card, Advisor Approval (Prerequisite)
EED 490 or 690 (Co-Requisite)
|Elementary Education Capstone||3||IVP Card (Prerequisite),
EED 410 or 610 (Co-Requisite)