Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education (Certified)
The Elementary Education program at Arizona Christian University trains you in the art and science of teaching children. Three key attributes of the program prepare you for a successful career in education. First, the program emphasizes the integration of education principles across the teaching profession. You will learn that teaching is not compartmentalized but it is a rich combination of research-based theories and hands-on practical experience. Second, the program emphasizes practicality. Through the lens of extensive experience, ACU faculty provide you with timely and valuable glimpses into today’s classrooms. The final and most valuable attribute is the emphasis on mentoring. Because of the intentional small class sizes at ACU, you will be able to develop strong mentoring relationships with your instructors. This mentoring begins in the classroom, continues through student teaching, and beyond graduation.
Why Elementary Education at ACU?
In addition to a faculty to student ratio of 17:1 and a rigorous, biblically-integrated curriculum, ACU’s Elementary Education program offers several unique advantages:
- ACU’s education graduates are in great demand locally and abroad.
- ACU is one of 24 universities in the United States and the only one in Arizona that is certified by ACSI (Association of Christian Schools International).
- ACU’s Elementary Education program is approved by the Arizona Department of Education.
- Faculty in the department have an average of 20 years of experience in the field, meaning you are taught by leaders in education who have extensive classroom experience.
- Small class sizes create a safe, comfortable setting to practice your teaching and hone your skills.
- God’s Word and His Truths are foundational in all coursework at ACU.
- All graduates in the certified program also graduate with full ACSI (Association of Christian Schools International) certification, which provides opportunities to teach internationally.
Beginning your first year, our phenomenal faculty and staff commit to do our part while you do yours, providing you with personalized, on-on-one support, and benefits unique to ACU. Click HERE for a detailed layout of your expectations and benefits as an education major. Just think of it as All As- ACU benefits, ADE approved, and ACSI certified.
What will I study?
The Elementary Education program provides a biblical liberal arts foundation with an innovative approach to general studies. CORE courses reclaim a Christian conception of the Liberal Arts, preparing students to be influential thinkers. Career-related focus areas will include:
- Educational psychology
- Curriculum and instruction methods for grades kindergarten through grade 8
- Human development
- Research based methods teaching Math, Reading, Language Arts, Science, and, Social Studies
- Special education methods grades kindergarten through grade 8
- Children’s literature
- Classroom management
- Methods for teaching English language learners
Graduates who meet the requirements of the Elementary Education program are prepared to
- Teach grades kindergarten through 8th grade at a charter, private, or public school.
- Teach in Christian schools in the United States and all over the world because of their ACSI Certification.
- Obtain master’s degrees in leadership, curriculum and instruction, administration, special education, or in their content area.
- Work with children in various church, parachurch, and nonprofit organizations
Professional Licensure/Certification Disclosure Statement
In compliance with U.S. Federal Regulations (34 CFR § 668.50 and 34 CFR § 668.43) and as a participating member of the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA), Arizona Christian University provides the following disclosures concerning its Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education program.
The Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education may lead to Educator Certification in Arizona. All students who satisfactorily complete the Elementary Education certificate program at Arizona Christian University, will receive an Institutional Recommendation (IR) from the university. A program “audit” will be conducted upon completion of the last program requirement to ensure 3.0 GPA in required program coursework (including transfer coursework), a 2.5 GPA overall, tuition/fees paid in full, and materials checked out from library have been returned. The IR will be uploaded to the Arizona Department of Education. It is good for one year and cannot be reissued. The IR saves you time and money when you are applying for your teaching certificate. An informative chart on the benefits of completing the Education Program at ACU can be found at https://www.arizonachristian.edu/education-program-benefits/. Information on Educator Certification in Arizona can be found at the Arizona Department of Education website (https://www.azed.gov/educator-certification).
Additionally, certificated graduates receive an Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI) teaching certificate that qualifies them to teach in Christian schools in the 180 U.S. and around the world. For information on how to apply for ACSI certification, please visit their website (https://www.acsi.org/accreditation-certification/certification-for-teachers/certification).
States vary in their certification requirements. ACU has made reasonable, good faith efforts to determine if its certified education programs meet the applicable education requirement for professional licensure or certification in all fifty states and several U.S. territories. This information can be accessed here.
These disclosures do not guarantee that any jurisdiction will approve an application for certification, and ACU shall not be held liable for an unsuccessful professional certification application.
Academic Major Courses
Core requirements accumulate to 30 credits, 15 credits of Biblical and Theological Studies and 8 credits of science courses.
|HIS 212||US and Arizona Government||3|
|EDU 300||Tests and Measurements||3|
|EED 302||Intro to Health and Fitness||1|
|EDU 312||Human Development||3|
|EED 313||Language Arts in the Elementary School||3|
|EED 314||Science & Social Studies in the Elementary School||3|
|EDU 314||Introduction to the Exceptional Child||3|
|EDU 315||Educational Psychology||3|
|EED 315||Reading and Decoding||3|
|EED 316||Reading Comprehension||3|
|EDU 317||Curriculum and Instruction||3|
|EDU 415||Classroom Management (Taken semester prior to student teaching)||3|
|EED 417||Mathematics in the Elementary School||3|
|EDU 430||Children's Literature||3|
|SEI 490||Structured English Immersion Methods||3|
|EED 410||Directed Student Teaching||9|
|EED 490||Elementary Education Capstone||3|