Minor in Secondary Education
The Minor in Secondary Education program at Arizona Christian University trains you in the art and science of teaching youth. You will learn that teaching is not compartmentalized but it is a rich combination of research-based theories and hands-on practical experience. The program emphasizes practicality. Through the lens of extensive experience, ACU faculty provide you with timely and valuable glimpses into today’s classrooms. The final and most valuable attribute is the emphasis on mentoring. Because of the intentional small class sizes at ACU, you will be able to develop strong mentoring relationships with your instructors. This mentoring begins in the classroom and beyond graduation.
Why a Minor in Secondary Education at ACU?
In addition to a faculty to student ratio of 17:1 and a rigorous, biblically integrated curriculum, ACU’s Minor in Secondary Education program offers several unique advantages:
- Faculty in the department have an average of 20 years of experience in the field, meaning you are taught by leaders in education who have extensive classroom experience.
- Small class sizes create a safe, comfortable setting to practice your teaching and hone your skills.
- God’s Word and His Truths are foundational in all coursework at ACU.
What will I study?
The Minor in Secondary Education program provides a biblical liberal arts foundation with an innovative approach to general studies. CORE courses reclaim a Christian conception of the Liberal Arts, preparing students to be influential thinkers. Minor-related focus areas will include:
- Curriculum and instruction methods for grades 6 through 12
- Research based methods for teaching youth and adults
- Special education methods for grades 6 through 12
- Classroom management
- Methods for teaching English language learners
- Human development or adolescent psychology
Standalone Minor Courses
In order for a student to complete the minor, they must complete 18 credit hours.
|EDU 314||Introduction to the Exceptional Child||3|
|EDU 317||Curriculum and Instruction||3|
|SEI 490||Structured English Immersion Methods||3|
|SED 313-319||Teaching in the Secondary School||3|
|EDU 415||Classroom Management||3|
|Choose one course below|
|EDU 312||Human Development||3|
|PSY 314||Adolescent Psychology||3|