Minor in Elementary Education
The Minor in Elementary Education program at Arizona Christian University trains you in the art and science of teaching children. You will learn that teaching is not compartmentalized but it is a rich combination of research-based theories and hands-on practical experience. The program emphasizes practicality. Through the lens of extensive experience, ACU faculty provide you with timely and valuable glimpses into today’s classrooms. The final and most valuable attribute is the emphasis on mentoring. Because of the intentional small class sizes at ACU, you will be able to develop strong mentoring relationships with your instructors. This mentoring begins in the classroom and beyond graduation.
Why a Minor in Elementary Education at ACU?
In addition to a faculty to student ratio of 17:1 and a rigorous, biblically integrated curriculum, ACU’s Minor in Elementary Education program offers several unique advantages:
- Faculty in the department have an average of 20 years of experience in the field, meaning you are taught by leaders in education who have extensive classroom experience.
- Small class sizes create a safe, comfortable setting to practice your teaching and hone your skills.
- God’s Word and His Truths are foundational in all coursework at ACU.
What will I study?
The Minor in Elementary Education program provides a biblical liberal arts foundation with an innovative approach to general studies. CORE courses reclaim a Christian conception of the Liberal Arts, preparing students to be influential thinkers. Minor-related focus areas will include:
- Curriculum and instruction methods for grades kindergarten through grade 8
- Research based methods in teaching content to children (choice of two from the areas of Math, Reading, Language Arts, Science, and, Social Studies)
- Special education methods grades kindergarten through grade 8
- Children’s literature
- Classroom management
- Methods for teaching English language learners
Standalone Minor Courses
In order for a student to complete the minor, they must complete 18 credit hours.
|ECE 260||Early Literacy||1|
|ECE 261||Human Development for Young Child||1|
|ECE 262||Learning Environments for Young Child||1|
|ECE 263||Early Childhood Special Education||1|
|ECE 264||Early Childhood Capstone||1|
|ECE 265||Early Childhood Fieldwork I||1|
|ECE 266||Early Childhood Fieldwork II||1|
|ECE 267||Early Childhood Fieldwork III||1|
|ECE 268||Early Childhood Fieldwork IV||1|
|EDU 317||Curriculum and Instruction||3|
|EDU 430||Children's Literature||3|
|SEI 490||Structured English Immersion Methods||3|