B.S. in Secondary
The Secondary Education program at ACU trains you in the art and science of teaching while providing critical coursework to deepen knowledge and understanding of the field of education. Three key attributes of the program will prepare you for a successful career in education. First, the program emphasizes the integration of education principles across the teaching profession. You will learn that teaching is not compartmentalized, but is a rich combination of research-based theories and hands-on practical experience. Second, the program emphasizes practicality. Through the lens of extensive experience, faculty are able to provide you with timely and valuable glimpses into today’s classrooms. The final and most valuable attribute of the program is the emphasis on mentoring. Because of the small size of the university, you will be able to develop a strong mentoring relationship with their instructors. This mentoring begins in the classroom, continues through student teaching, and beyond.
Why Secondary Education at ACU?
In addition to a faculty to student ratio of 17:1 and a rigorous and biblically-integrated curriculum, ACU’s Secondary Education (Cert) program offers several unique advantages:
- ACU’s College of Education graduates are in great demand locally and abroad.
- ACU Education faculty have an average of 20 years experience in the field of education, meaning you are taught by leaders in the field of education who have extensive classroom experience.
- Small class sizes create an intimate, safe setting to practice your teaching and hone your skills.
- God’s Word and His Truths are foundational in all coursework at ACU.
- All graduates in the certified program also graduate with a full ACSI (Association of Christian Schools International) endorsement, which provides opportunities to teach internationally.
What will I study?
The Secondary Education (Cert) program provides a biblical liberal arts foundation with an innovative approach to general studies that reclaims a Christian conception of the Liberal Arts, preparing students to be influential thinkers. Career-related focus areas will include:
- Educational Psychology
- Curriculum and Instruction
- Human Development
- Secondary Education Teaching Methods
- Special Education Methods
- Classroom Management
- In-depth Study of your Content Area (30 credit hours)
Graduates who meet the requirements of the Secondary Education Program are prepared to:
- Teach grades 6-12 at a charter, private, or public school in their content area
- Teach in Christian schools in the United States and all over the world because of the ACSI certification earned through ACU’s program
- Obtain master’s degrees in leadership, curriculum and instruction, administration, special education, or in their content area
- Work with youth in various church, parachurch, and nonprofit organizations