Susan Johnson, M.A.
CORE Christian Liberal Arts Curriculum
Department of Political Science and Government
Degrees and Experience
- M.A. American History (Pace University, Gilder-Lehrman Institute of American History)
- M.A. Education – Curriculum and Instruction (University of Phoenix)
- B.S. Physical Education (Biola University)
Biography and Professional Achievements
Susan Weaver Johnson’s wide-ranging experience in education spans almost 40 years. From beta-testing a digitally born e-textbook that includes role-playing students, or re-enacting the Pullman Strike Commission in the classroom, Professor Johnson creatively connect her students with history. A faculty member at ACU since 2006, she predominately teaches American history, liberal arts classes in the CORE, and assists with supervising student teachers in the Education Department. A member of several historical societies, Professor Johnson is passionate about historical teaching and research. Devoting part of each summer to touring and researching at historical sites, she participates in various programs such as the Civil War Institute at Gettysburg College and the Library of Congress Teacher Institute. Her current research project is the history of Thunderbird Field, a primary pilot training school during WWII, which is now the ACU campus. This research began as her latest graduate project, and won special honors recognition in May 2020 from Pace University. As University Historian, Professor Johnson is tasked with not only maintaining our Southwestern College, ACU, and Thunderbird history, but sharing it with our students, staff, and community members. Since May 2019, she has presented tours and talks on campus for more than 150 guests, including a special delegation from the People’s Republic of China. Professor Johnson was awarded the ACU Faculty Award for Excellence in Teaching and Learning in 2016, and Teacher of the Year from the ACU Football program in 2014.
In addition to her academic career, Susan has been an active community volunteer, church member, and mentor. A devoted wife to Rick, they are parents of four amazing adults. A native of California, Susan loves the beach, as well as gardening and traveling. She was involved in athletics for over 30 years, as an athlete, coach, referee, Athletic Director, and parent of athletes, which has thoroughly prepared her to be a dedicated Firestorm fan.
Publications and Presentations
- Daughters of the American Revolution: Scottsdale, Arizona – Keynote Speaker (November 2019) The “Daughters of Liberty”: Without Them, There Would be No Successful Revolution
- “Williams Veterans Day Banquet and Centennial Celebration 1918-2018” (American Legion) Williams, Arizona – Keynote Speaker (November 11, 2018) Commemoration of the 100th Anniversary of the End of The Great War
- “Lincoln’s Speech at the Great Central Sanitary Fair (June 16, 1864).” Published Nov. 2013. Lincoln’s Writings: The Multi-Media Edition. House Divided Project, Dickenson College.
- “Lincoln’s Summer of 1864.” Published Nov. 2013. Lincoln’s Writings: The Multi-Media Edition. House Divided Project, Dickenson College.
- Teacher Day at UA (University of Arizona – Tucson) Participated with Educators from the Library of Congress at a teacher’s seminar –Teaching with Primary Resources (May 2012)
- Arizona Christian University Faculty Training – Teaching with iPads education team (August 2011, January 2012, August 2012)
- Arizona Christian University, Masters Project Presentation to the Education Department “Evaluating Success in College: Electronic Textbooks Compared to Traditional Textbooks” (April 2010)