Steven Rutt, Ph.D.
Director, Master of Arts in Theology, Worldview and Culture
Degrees and Experience
- Ph.D. (University of Lancaster)
- M.A.T. (Fuller Theological Seminary)
- B.Th. (Sweetwater Bible College)
Biography and Professional Achievements
Dr. Steven Rutt has forty-five years of experience as a pastor, church planter, missionary, and international teacher in biblical, theological, and intercultural studies within fourteen countries. He has taught at undergraduate and graduate theological colleges and seminaries in New Zealand, Lithuania, England, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Arizona. He served as an external professor for a Ph.D. candidate from Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary (North Carolina). Since 1993 he has served as founder and president of Covenant Renewal Ministries, Inc.—a non-profit missionary organization—which has enabled him to function as an accomplished conference speaker and lecturer in Europe and the United Kingdom. He remains a lecturer in missiology for the Oxford Centre for Mission Studies (Oxford, UK) and the seminaries of the Reformed Episcopal Church, the denomination where he serves as a scholar-priest. He is also a member of The Society of Anglican Theologians. Currently, as a professor at Arizona Christian University, he spends half of his time as the founding Director of the Master of Arts in Theology, Worldview, and Culture and the remaining half of his time as Associate Professor of Biblical & Theological Studies. He has taught courses in Historical Theology, Systematic Theology, Hermeneutics, Paul’s Life, Teachings and Mission, Ancient Israel and its Literature, Early Christianity and its Literature, Second Century Christianity, Early Christian Creeds and Church Councils and various books of the Bible at ACU for the past eight years. Rev. Dr. Rutt has been married to his college sweetheart, Sue, for forty-five years, and have four wonderful children and their children married Christian spouses and have given them eleven delightful grandchildren.
Publications and Presentations
- Steven Richard Rutt, Roland Allen: A Missionary Life (Cambridge, England: The Lutterworth Press, 2018); 188 pages.
- Steven Richard Rutt, Roland Allen: A Theology of Mission – Towards a Missiology of Spirit and Order (Cambridge, England: The Lutterworth Press, 2018); 242 pages.
- Steven Rutt, ‘Background and Overview of “The Ministry of Expansion”’ an analytical chapter on Roland Allen’s The Ministry of Expansion: the Priesthood of the Laity , William Carey Library, 2017, pages 47-68.
- Steven Richard Rutt, ‘Roland Allen’s Contribution towards Missiology: An overall Perspective Today’ India Church Growth Quarterly (ICGQ), Madras, India, 2014.
- Rutt, Steven, ‘An Analysis of Roland Allen’s Missionary Ecclesiology,’ Transformation, 29 (3), July 2012, 200-213, London: SAGE Publications.
- Rutt, Steven, ‘Roland Allen’s Apostolic Principles: An Analysis of his “The Ministry of Expansion,”’ Transformation, 29 (3), July 2012, 225-243, London: SAGE Publications.
- Cranmer Theological House (Seminary), Dallas, Texas: Evangelism and Mission, October 2020.
- Diocesan Synod of the Reformed Episcopal Church: ‘The Transferable Principles of Mission and Church Planting from the Work of the Anglican Missionary, Roland Allen’ February 2019.
- Oxford Centre for Training, Research Advocacy and Dialogue Conference: ‘Anglicans, Culture and the State’ for the Anglican Patrimony Conference, St Stephen’s House, Oxford, UK, April 2018.
- Oxford Centre for Mission Studies, Oxford, UK: ‘The Missionary Ecclesiology of Roland Allen’ July 2013.
- Yale-Edinburgh Group (University of Edinburgh, Yale Divinity School, and the Overseas Ministries Study Centre), The Centre for the Study of World Christianity, School of Divinity, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, Scotland: ‘The impetus of Roland Allen’s missionary ecclesiology among bishops in India: a case study reflection of V.S. Azariah and George C. Hubback’ June 2012.
- Oxford Centre for Mission Studies, Oxford, UK: ‘Roland Allen’s Apostolic Principles: An Analysis of his “The Ministry of Expansion: the Priesthood of the Laity’ June 2011.
- Free Church of England Clergy Conference, Shallowford House, Stafford, UK. ‘Clergy Training: a proposal for the advancement of theological training within The Free Church of England’ April 2010.
- Lancashire Evening Post, Lancashire County, England: Interview on Church ministry in Preston, England, ‘Spreading the Word’ (June 22, 2010, page 15).
- BBC Radio Lancashire, Blackburn, England: Interview about ‘Christianity and Culture’ July 21, 2010.
- Northern Diocesan Clergy Conference of the Free Church of England, UK: ‘The Missiology of Roland Allen’ (October 2009).
- Vilnius Theological College, Vilnius, Lithuania: Lecturer in Christology and Christian Apologetics, for Lithuanian and Russian theological students, 1998.
- Johan Maasbach Wereldzending (World Mission) Television, Den Haag, Netherlands: Seminars and preaching (April 1993 and June 1994).
- ‘The Cancer Eating at Our Society Can Be Cured’ Challenge Weekly (Vol. 40, No. 20, June 4, 1982, pages 10-11).