Linnea Lyding, Ed.D.
Associate Professor – Assistant Dean
Head of the Shelly Roden School of Education
Degrees and Experience
- Ed.D. Leadership and Innovation in Education (Arizona State University)
- M.Ed. Elementary Education, Professional Specialization: Reading Specialist (Northern Arizona University)
- B.S. Dual Major: Early Childhood and Special Education (Northern Arizona University)
- Teacher Certifications, State of Arizona
- Elementary Education, K-8
- Special Education, LD, K-12
- Approved Areas, State of Arizona
- Reading Specialist, K-12
- Structured English Immersion, K-12
Biography and Professional Achievements
Dr. Linnea Lyding was appointed Assistant Dean, Head of the Shelly Roden School of Education at Arizona Christian University (ACU) in 2018. She also serves as the Education Department Chair. Dr. Lyding currently serves on the Certification Advisory Committee for the Arizona Department of Education (AZED) and previously served on the Academic Standards Development Committee for AZED. As a part of Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI), Dr. Lyding serves as a Higher Education Accreditation Program (HEAP) team reviewer. Prior to becoming a fulltime faculty member at ACU in 2012, Dr. Lyding served as an adjunct instructor at ACU, Northern Arizona University, and Arizona State University.
Dr. Lyding started her career in education as a junior high school math and special education teacher. Since that time, spent over 18 years teaching elementary and junior high students in both special and general education classrooms. She is a Reading Specialist and holds degrees in Early Childhood, Elementary, and Special Education as well as a doctorate in Leadership and Innovation in Teaching. For her doctoral work, she explored the connection between movement and learning. Now, at Arizona Christian University, she enjoys sharing her experience and passions with her students and in workshops for teachers and college faculty.
Publications and Presentations
- Lyding, L. (2021, January 15). 6 ways to jam on JAMBOARD: Using the digital whiteboard in a HYBRID CLASSROOM. https://www.edutopia.org/article/6-ways-jam-jamboard-using-digital-whiteboard-hybrid-classroom
- Lyding, L. (2020, August 04). ACT On It! How to Keep Students Moving While Learning During COVID-19: Faculty Focus. https://www.facultyfocus.com/articles/effective-teaching-strategies/act-on-it-how-to-keep-students-moving-while-learning-during-covid-19/
- Lyding, L. Using Lesson Study to Help Teachers Design Lessons with Purposeful Planned Movement. Poster session presented at: Making Lasting Memories: Using Brain Science to Boost Memory, Thinking and Learning. Learning and the Brain Conference; 2015 February 12-14; San Francisco, CA.
- Lyding, L. (guest) & Jefferson, J. (host). (December 10, 2014) The Importance of Movement. EducVIII, Talkzone, New York.
- Lyding, L. (2014). Road Tested/It’s in the cards and other movement activities. Education Update, 56 (11).
- Lyding, L., Zambo, D. & Hansen, C.C. (2014). Move it or lose it! Educational Leadership 72(2).
- Lyding, L. & Johnson, L. (2014). Musical chairs removes blank stares. ASCD Express, 10 (1).
- ACSI (Association of Christian Schools International) Virtual Early Education Conference – Designed to Flourish. (February and March war2021) Designed to Move and More
- Professors at Play Playposium 2020 – Virtual (November 6, 2020) Musical Chairs Removes Blank Stares
- Educator’ Rising Virtual “Literacy Lives” September 2020 Musical Chairs Removes Blank Stares
- ACSI (Association of Christian Schools International) Professional Development Forum – Phoenix. (November 2019) Phoenix, AZ. Creating Captivated Learners
- ACSI (Association of Christian Schools International) Professional Development Forum – Phoenix. (November 2018) Phoenix, AZ and Anaheim, CA. Know Your Impact –There’s MAGIC in this Classroom.
- ACSI (Association of Christian Schools International) Professional Development Forum – Phoenix. (November 2017) The Brains Behind the Operation of Learning: Find Your Sweet Spot through the M&Ms of Brain – There’s MAGIC in this Classroom
- Scottsdale Learning Center Professional Development Sessions (2017-2018) MEET UP to Learn
- ACSI (Association of Christian Schools International) Professional Development Forum – Denver. (October 2017) Good Move – Make a Move on Reading –There’s MAGIC in this Classroom
- There’s MAGIC in this Classroom (August 2017) Full day professional development at Victory Christian School in Albuquerque, New Mexico
- Mindsets, Motivation and Memory, ACU’s Conference on Teaching, Learning, and the Brain. (June 2017) There’s MAGIC in this Classroom – Make a Move on Reading
- I.R.E. Up your Teaching (June 2017)
- Framing the Work: Achieving Excellence in Early Childhood Education Conference (June 2017)
- MEET UP to Learn
- ACSI (Association of Christian Schools International) Early Childhood Conference. (January 2017) Keynote – A Drop of Honey: Proverbs 16:24 – Fearfully and Wonderfully Made
- ACSI (Association of Christian Schools International) Professional Development Forum. (November 2016) Good Move – Make a Move on Reading
- The Promise of Hope, ASCD Four Corners Conference. (September 2015) Make a Move on Reading
- Engaging Minds, Strengthening Memory, ACU’s Conference on Teaching, Learning, and the Brain. (June 2015) Good Move
- The Teaching Professor Conference, Magna Publications, Atlanta, Georgia (May 2015) Connect For…
- 41st Annual Language and Literacy Conference, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ. (February 11, 2011), Viva La Difference
- Arizona First Grade Conference, Bureau of Education and Research (BER), Phoenix, AZ. (December 8, 2005) Using Phonological Awareness to Teach Spelling and Vocabulary
- Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI) Rocky Mountain Region Conference, Mesa, AZ. (October 7, 2004), It’s in the Bag: Making Reading Multi Sensory – Parts 1 and 2.