Degrees and Experience
- Patricia Roberts Harris National Composition Fellow
- M.M. Music Theory and Composition (Arizona State University)
- B.M. Music Theory and Composition (Arizona State University)
- B.A. Violin Performance (Indiana University, Bloomington)
Biography and Professional Achievements
Elizabeth (Libbie) Kent began teaching in 2003 at Southwestern College, which became Arizona Christian University in 2010. As associate professor, she was music department chair from 2004-2012. Her college teaching career began at Chandler-Gilbert Community College (1997-1999) teaching Music Theory courses and conducting orchestra. She then spent four years as Music Theory and History Director at Grand Canyon University (1999-2003) teaching the Music Theory and History core and conducting various instrumental ensembles. Libbie has served on numerous university committees such as Curriculum Committee, and Assessment Committee.
Libbie’s academic musical interests include composing, conducting, teaching theory, and playing violin. She has been active as producer and conductor for church productions (1999-2018) and for 15 theater works at Southwestern Repertory Theatre. Productions include Gilbert and Sullivan operettas (Mikado and Pirates of Penzance), and musicals such as Singing in the Rain, Jane Eyre, and Oklahoma!.
Libbie left her parents’ childhood cult to encounter Christ in 1990. Since then, she has worked in music ministry as choir and/or orchestra conductor: Grace Community Church of Tempe (1999-2004), First Baptist Church of Tempe (2005-2007), and Hillside Southern Baptist Church (worship team, serving until covid). She has three grown children and seven grandchildren. Libbie lives in continuing gratitude for Jesus saving grace.
Composition Prizes and Commissions, Producer and Conductor, Violinist
- Violinist for season performances (Mesa Symphony, Lyric Opera Orchestra, West Valley Symphony, ProMusica Arizona Chorale and Orchestra). 1978-2019
- Recent premieres of original works at ACU: Be Thou My Vision for String Ensemble and Flute, and Music for Violin and Piano. 2020
- Brevard Summer Music Festival performance: Three Stones (symphony orchestra). 2018
- Producer and conductor for joined performances: Mendelssohn’s Oratorio Elijah, in conjunction with Paradise Valley Community Church choir and orchestra; and Rossini’s Petite Messe Sollenelle, Holy Spirit Episcopal Church, and Scottsdale Community College. 2012
- Arizona Viola Society commissions: Scott Joplin for 24 Violas, and Porgy and Bess for Viola Ensemble. 2006
- Ballet score commission from DeVere Dance Company, in association with Ballet Arizona. Performance at Herberger Theatre, Phoenix. 2005
- Patricia Roberts Harris prize and performance (Trilithon for Symphony Orchestra): Merkin Concert Hall, New York City. 2002
- Composition prize and professional recording: North American Artists Foundation, Trilithon for Symphony Orchestra, at Grady Gammage Auditorium, Tempe. 1998
- Staff composer and arranger (orchestra, choir, worship ensemble): Grace Community Church. 1999-2004
- Soundtrack arranger for Channel 5 Television: weekly TV shows Horses Now, The Real Estate Show, and Ninos Contentos. Various
- Kent, Libbie, editor, “Integrated Music Theory: A Collection of Music Theory Materials,” Scholargy Publishing, Tempe, Arizona; LAD Publishing, Buford, Georgia.
- Music Theory 1, Aural Perception 1, Scholargy College Publishing.
- Music Theory 2, Aural Perception 2, LAD Publishing.
- Music Theory 3, Aural Perception 3, Scholargy College Publishing
- Music Theory 4, Aural Perception 4, LAD Publishing.