It was only a few years ago that Emily Hobrock (’21) experienced her move-in day at ACU.
This month, as she reflected on her time as a student on campus, she prayerfully composed the following advice for the new members of our Firestorm Family.
- Keep God first. He’s often the first thing to go when things get busy, but spend time with Him. You will feel really busy, but make time for Him. You won’t regret it.
- Find your tribe and love them well.
- You’re not the only new one. Everyone else is in the same boat. Everyone else has questions. It’s okay.
- You can’t grow in your comfort zone. Change is uncomfortable, but so worth it. Trust God.
- Take lots of pictures. Not just the ones for Instagram to paint a pretty scene, but all the little moments. Self timers are one of the best inventions.
- You don’t have to have everything figured out. One day at a time.
- Your job is not to fix people and their problems. You just love others and point them to the One who can mend all brokenness.
- Call home. Remember who you are, where you came from, and who shaped you into who you are today, and who helped you get to where you are today.
- Do your homework. Just do it. Don’t ask other people to do your homework for you.
- Four years is going to fly by. Don’t wish time away. Savor every moment. Because even though it’s sometimes hard and uncomfortable in the beginning, you’ll cry when you graduate and the goodbyes will be one of the most gut wrenching feelings in the world.”