Minor in Economic Liberty & Politics
The ACU Economic Liberty and Politics Minor prepares future conservative Christian leaders with a strong intellectual foundation and real-world understanding to defend and advance economic liberty in their generation. Students are grounded in a biblical understanding of the importance of economic liberty and the free market, an understanding of economics from a biblical worldview understanding (especially of human nature), and a deep reverence for the relationship between economic liberty and God’s design for human flourishing.
Students complete 18 hours of interdisciplinary courses in economics, political philosophy, and political science required in this program. After building a solid foundation in understanding the free market and principles of economic liberty, students are challenged to use what they’ve learned to develop strategies to address real-world threats to economic liberty facing their generation – including the allure of socialism to their generation, the New Green Deal and costs of radical environmentalism, the issue of income inequality, government expanding beyond its proper role and Constitutional boundaries, and others. This coursework enhances your major area of study by equipping you to defend economic liberty and to advocate entrepreneurial, free-market approaches to a vast array of political and cultural problems.
ACU’s Economic Liberty and Politics Minor prepares students for significant Christian influence in government, law, and politics – especially as related to economic liberty. Throughout the coursework, students will explore the intersection of faith and politics, while being grounded in the ideas, values, and institutions of the American system of government and politics more generally. You will learn to integrate the biblical worldview into a deep understanding of the free market, the connection between economic liberty and human flourishing as you thoughtfully consider and address the political and economic opportunities challenges facing your generation. By integrating faith and scholarship into the study of economic liberty and politics, you will translate your passion for political, economic and cultural transformation into significant Christian leadership and influence in their communities, the nation, and the world.
Why Economic Liberty and Politics at ACU?
In addition to a faculty to student ratio of 17:1 and a rigorous and biblically-integrated curriculum, ACU’s Economic Liberty and Politics program offers several unique advantages.
- The ACU minor in Economic Liberty and Politics prepares you to defend the free market and the importance of economic liberty to your generation.
- Coursework encourages students to develop, formalize, and integrate the biblical worldview into all aspects of government and politics.
- The program considers what makes our nation’s free market economic system unique, and places American economics within the larger context of nation’s history, institutions, political culture and ideas.
- Throughout the minor, you’ll deeply explore the intersection of faith, the biblical worldview, and the free market throughout history, in the contemporary context, and in future careers.
- The program emphasizes strategic, practical equipping of students for effective citizenship, public-minded service, and positions of influence in politics, law, public policy, and other related areas.
What will I study?
The Economic Liberty and Politics program provides a biblical liberal arts foundation with an innovative approach to general studies that reclaims a Christian conception of the Liberal Arts, preparing students to be influential thinkers and leaders. Career-related coursework focus areas will include:
- Foundations of the American free market system
- Socialism: Theory and Reality
- Public policy
- Political thought
- Free-market policy solutions
- Policy entrepreneurialism
- Non-profit issue advocacy
- Contemporary issues in economic liberty and politics
ACU’s Political Science-Economic Liberty and Politics degree prepares students to pursue careers in:
- Government / Politics
- Law / Legal Field
- Policy Research and Advocacy
- Public Administration
- Free Market /Entrepreneurial Policy Making
- Organizational Leadership
- Non-Profit Administration
- Public Service
- Education / Academia
Standalone Minor Courses
Economic Liberty Politics Stand-Alone Minor (18 credits). Choose 18 Credit Hours from the following listed courses. A minimum of 9 credit hours must be 300-level or higher.
|ECO 201||Principles of Macroeconomics||3|
|POL 309||Intellectual Foundations of the Free |
|POL 315||Socialism: Theory and Reality||3|
|POL 410||Public Policy and Economic |
|POL 425||Issues in Economic Liberty and Politics||3|
|Choose One||POL 435 Debating American Liberty|
POL 442 American Political Thought
POL 452 American Conservative Thought
At Arizona Christian, we structure our programs to effectively prepare students to transform culture in their workplace. Our checksheets are annual guides that support students along the path toward graduation.